Training Your Puppy to be a Diabetic Alert Dog

Training Your Puppy to be a Diabetic Alert Dog. My training manual is in
workbook format with links to online resources, training videos, recommended
products,how to use collect and use scent samples, forms to track
scent training,training checklists, and much more. 122 pages.


# # #

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Teaching Heel & Under

When I go on service dog training visits to client's homes, one of the questions I ask is "does your dog know what 'heel' means?" The answer is usually something like "I think so". At that point I find out by saying to the dog: "Fido, heel". If Fido knows what the word means, he will come to my side. If he does not ... I may as well be talking to the wall.

Recently, this lovely black Lab helped me demonstrate how to attach the world "heel" to a specific behavior. Notice that I work her near a wall or a piece of furniture. Why? I want her to walk in a straight line next to me and sit next to me without swinging her butt out. Also, each time we stop, our toes should be aligned.

Practicing lots of off-leash heeling indoors will soon have you walking your dog through your neighborhood, on-leash, at heel - making you very proud and your neighbors very jealous!



No comments: